Mail should be addressed as such:
105 Albright Street, Suite O
Taos, NM 87571
The sender must also print their full name and return address. Mail is not forwarded to the detainee once he/she has been released. Mail for a released detainee is returned to sender or sent to the dead letter department at the United States Postal Service.
All incoming mail shall be opened and searched for contraband. The Detention Center restricts access to publications allowed in the facility that adversely affects the security and orderly operations.
Listed below are the facility rules regarding mail for both outgoing and incoming mail. If it violates any of the following, it will be rejected.
- Contains greeting or post cards that have glitter, attatchments, electronic devices or that are homemade. They need to be basic store bought cards and may not be altered except for writing a note or signing it.
- Contains plastic coated cards and/or plastic coated items.
- No detainee to detainee mail.
- Contains cash or personal check. (Money Orders Only)
- Contains postage stamps, envelopes, writing paper, posters and/or stationary items.
- Contains glue, paste, foreign substances and/or unknown residue on envelope or letter.
- Does not contain complete name as required (Name used at time of booking).
- Contains hardcover books, newspapers or books sent by someone other than a book store or publisher.
- Contains more than six (6) photos or polaroid photos or photos that exceed 5x7 inches.
- Contains obscene, nude, pornographic photos, pictures or drawings. Contains photos or pictures exposing undergarments.
- Promotes violation of facility rules.
- Contains writing in codes, which staff is unable to assess.
- Encourages or instructs detainees in the commission of gang/criminal activity.
- Contains newspaper clippings.
- There is too much writing and drawings on the envelope.
- There is perfume inside or lipstick on the envelope.
- Contains police weapons, or hunting books/magazines.
- Contains words that depict or describe procedures for brewing alcohol or for making drugs.
- Contains/aides in the construction or use of weapons, ammunition, bombs or incendiary devices.
- Contains materials that could be used to aid an escape from an institution, including plans, diagrams, and blueprints or institutions.
- Black/Blue Ink Only
- Mail without a return address will be rejected and disposed.
- Detainees will receive a copy of mail rejection notice for rejected mail.