Solid Waste Operations
Pursuant to Taos County Ordinance No. 1987-03 Section 10 - "all loads shall be covered by a tarp or other suitable covering before traveling on public roads, within Taos County."
Any person who shall violate this provision, shall be deemed guilty of a misdemeanor, and upon conviction shall be punished by a fine not exceeding $300 or imprisonment in the county jail for a period not exceeding ninety days or both fine and imprisonment.
Taos County Transfer Stations
8:00 am to 4:00 pm
- Arroyo Hondo Site: From Arroyo Hondo proceed approximately 2 1/2 miles north on state road 522 to the intersection of County Road B-008. Proceed west on County Road B-008 approximately 1/2 mile west to the site.
- Cerro Site: From intersection of State Road 522 and State Road 378 proceed west approximately 3 miles on State Road 378 to the intersection of County Road B-038. Proceed 3/4 miles west to the site on the south side of the road.
- Chamisal Site: From Chamisal proceed south on State Road 76 approximately 1 1/2 miles to the intersection of County Road C-007. Proceed southwest on County Road C-007 approximately 3/4 miles to the site.
- Costilla Site: From intersection of State Road 522 and County Road B-052 proceed southeast approximately 1/2 miles to the site on the north side of the road.
- Los Cordovas Site: From the junction of State Road 240 and County Road A-020 proceed southeast approximately 1 1/2 miles to the site on the southwest side of the road. It is located next to the Town of Taos Sewer processing plant.
- Ojo Caliente Site: From Ojo Caliente proceed north on State Road 285 approximately one mile to the intersection of County Road CB-110. Proceed east on County Road CB-110 approximately.1 mile to the site.
- Pilar Site: From Pilar proceed northeast on state road 68 approximately 1 1/2 miles to the site on the east side of the road.
- Tres Piedras Site: From Tres Piedras proceed north on State Road 285 approximately 2 miles to the intersection of Forest Service Road 83. Proceed west on Forest Road 83 approximately 3/4 miles to the site on the north side of the road
Short Term Goals
- Construct retaining walls at the Chamisal transfer station
- Purchase a new roll off truck
- Purchase a new recycle truck
- Upgrade the Solid Waste Equipment
- Establish recycling at all County Government Buildings
- Install cameras at illegal dumping sites throughout Taos County and prosecute offenders
Long Term Goals
- New solid waste and recycling facility
- 50% recycling at all 8 transfer Stations
- 100% Tarp compliance to prevent litter on the roadways
- Certify 8 Attendants for transfer station, recycling certifications
- Establish methane testing at all 5 closed County landfills (30 yr. Plan NMED)
- Establish recycling at all local schools