Payment Information

What forms of payment do you accept?

The County accepts personal checks, money orders, cashier’s checks, cash, credit card, and debit card payments. Checks and money orders should be sent to the following address:

Taos County Emergency Medical Services
105 Albright St. Suite U
Taos, NM 87571

Please verify your Ambulance Balance before remitting payment. The Ambulance billing office is not responsible for payments made on the wrong accounts.

All credit/debit payments are subject to a user convenience fee.

For credit card and debit card transactions, a fee of 2.25% of the payment amount will be added to your total payment. For example, if your total patient amount is $500.00, the total charge is computed as follows:

Credit Card & Debit Card Transactions
$500.00 Patient Balance
$11.25 Convenience Fee ($500.00 X .0225)
$511.25 Total Payment Amount

Taos County Emergency Medical Services Department does not receive any proceeds from convenience fees. All fees collected are applied to transaction costs incurred for processing the payment.

Why do I have to Pay?

The County does not levy any assessments on tax payers to cover the cost of ambulance services. As such, the services provided are supported by user fees. These fees are set by tariff as approved by the State of New Mexico’s Public Regulation Commission and the County’s Governing Body. The current rates are included below.

What if I do not Receive a Bill?

The County will charge all customers for services rendered. Our EMT’s make every effort to collect as much information as possible at the time services are rendered; however, it is not always possible to collect enough information for the Billing Division to locate a customer. If you have not received a bill within thirty (30) days of receiving services, please contact a representative at: (575) 737-6430.

Do I have to pay the Entire Balance at Once?

If you are uninsured, your insurance denies your claim, or a balance remains after your insurance has paid, you will be responsible for the balance in full. Payment plans are available, with minimum increments of $25.00. Please contact our office to make arrangements.

What if I Cannot Afford my Bill?

Several options are available including establishing a payment plan as described above. In addition, programs such as the Taos County Indigent Fund provide assistance for low-income residents. If you were the victim of a crime, the New Mexico Crime Victims Reparation Commission may be able to offer assistance.